Thursday, April 17, 2008

Possibly the longest day of my life

Monday was, possibly the longest day of my life.
Monday my beautiful, perfect, charming, and spectacular son had to go in for surgery. Yes, surgery. Here's how the day went.
7:45am notice a swelling in his groin
8am call the Pediatrician's office and realise they don't open til 8:30am
8:30am not wanting to waste time, arrive at the door of the Pediatrician's office
8:45 see the pediatrician (or else they would have had a hysterical mother on their hands)
12:45pm arrive at the Pediatric Urologist's office
1:15pm Pediatric Urologist tells us his situation is an "emergency".
3pm Nic goes in for emergency hernia surgery
3:30pm Urologist tells us that he did well in his surgery and is in recovery
3:40pm Mom breaks down in tears (joyful) in the family waiting area
5:00pm mom and dad get to see Nic
5:15pm Nic is smiling at the nurses as we carry him back to his room (he's such a flirt).
7:30pm mom and dad return home with a sore, swollen and grumpy - but healthy baby Nicolas.
It was probably a routine surgery for the Urologist (who was excellent by the way) but very traumatic for mom and dad. Nic got pain meds, but we may have needed them more.
The next 2 days I didn't leave the house and sat there and watched him breathe during his naps. I stayed up and listened to him breathe on the monitor.
3 days later he is happy and kicking around like nothing ever happened.
Mom and dad, however, may need another week of recovery.
My mom has said that once you have a child you will "throw yourself in front of a truck (train, etc) for them". Once I gave birth to Nicolas, I had to agree that I would do ANYTHING for him. If the doctor could have cut me open for him I would have done that in a heartbeat. Ted said the same thing. Until the day that I gave birth to him, I had not been given a hospital room. I had not been admitted to a room that was mine for my stay - thank God. I hope to not see many of them in my future. Though a minor procedure for all who look in from the outside, it was, well...scary, scary, scary and scary on top of that. I don't know what I would do if I lost him, I really don't, I don't even want to think about it anymore. It makes me think of all parents who have lost their children and pray (not being an overly religous person) for them.
This will probably not be our first hospital trip with him, but I will hope and pray for a healthy life for him.

3 comments:

Emily said...

he looks like he is getting so big! i can't believe i have still yet to meet him! glad he is doing so well after the minor but scary day for you!

Janice said...

ok, i am thrilled, thrilled, thrilled that nic is doing well... but i can't help but mention that he is so cute chubby!! look down your page at the skinny adorable nic and now he is a big boy. yup, he is going to be the big teddy bear that everyone flirts with and when he looks at you with those bigs eyes, you can't resist. this small test had prepared you for those high school years!

"I'm Rachel" said...

HOLY COW! When did all of this go down? I know it had to have been so scary for you. Thank God you didn't put it off.... (like I probably would have!) Wow, Dana. It's great to hear that he's doing so well.