Wednesday, March 5, 2008

That's Not My Job...

Ok, this isn't really a post about Nicolas and the cute things he's doing, but it is still about being a mom. I have included a new picture of him though.
I have been on the phone with the hospital where he was born, the pediatrician's office, the OB's office, the central billing office for the previously mentioned offices, my old insurance company and my new insurance company. Now don't get me wrong: My OB is great and his office staff are nicer than most. The pediatrician's office is decent but my original pediatrician left without notice when Nic was 2 months old, and the medical staff at the hospital where he was born were great for my labor and delivery. It's mostly the billing offices and the insurance companies.
I called one office to see if a particular claim had been refiled and the lady who answered "doesn't do that" and the woman who does wasn't in that afternoon so I have to call back. Then I was on with the billing office for the hospitals correcting information that I have corrected 3 weeks ago. They keep billing Nic's claims to my old insurance despite the number of times I call to correct their information. I needed to get a "precertification" for a procedure done in the hospital when he was born. Well that woman "doesn't do that" and I needed to talk to medical records. The brilliant woman who answered the phone at medical records said I "probably" need to come in to the medical records office ..."probably". I love it. So next time someone needs something from me that I don't feel like doing, I will just say, well that's not my job and the person who does do that isn't in today. Call back tomorrow.

3 comments:

Janice said...

Oh you said that so well I bet you could get a job in a billing office in no time- a new career! I bet $10 those people get paid more than I do and I pretty much sit there with a sign that says "That is not my job but please dump it on my desk cause I seem to do everything around here". Sigh.
Good luck!!! I am sure you will get it straightened out before Nic is in college!

"I'm Rachel" said...

I've considered moving to Canada, strictly for the healthcare. They skip in, they skip out, la la la la laaaaaaa..... Seriously. Dealing with insurance makes me need to drink heavily. :)

I've been there. Wait until you pay for something related to childbirth, and then 3 years later they bill you again for the same thing. Then you have to go around and around about weather or not it's been paid, and why the Hell they are re-sending this to you 3 years later, and if you're lucky, you'll have changed banks and you'll have no idea where the proof is. FUN!!!

Emily said...

oh do i know how this works! I swear dealing with insurance companies day after day makes you crazy...maybe that is what my problem is! haha good luck with all of that!