Tuesday, August 5, 2008

And Then There Were Two

The baby tooth fairy has visited Nicolas twice in the last 3 weeks. He was Mr. Sunshine (and by that I mean grumpy, crying, etc) for a couple days the week before last. I rubbed my finger on his gums and felt a tooth! Once it broke through the gums he was fine and then last night and today he was Mr. Sunshine again. So he was eating some peas today and with his mouth wide open I saw the second tooth coming in. That makes....um....22 to go?

The baby milestones are so fun for parents. Those who aren't parents sometimes have a different take. Now, I know many single or non-parent individuals who are excited about the little steps Nicolas is taking, but I also know that others yawn and roll their eyes at the stories.

For example, I was teaching a workshop this past weekend for a nationally recognized and highly respected health and fitness organization. It's a 3 day workshop to help prepare individuals to take a personal training exam. I've been teaching these for almost 4 years now and have been in many stages of my life when I teach (just married, in the middle of a move, just starting a job, about to pull my hair out from that job, 3 months pregnant, 9 months pregnant, new mom to a 3 month old and now). This time I could totally relate to the stay-at-home-moms in the group who were trying to develop a career they could manage while caring for their children.

There were, of course, some younger folks (and when I say "folks" it definately shows that I am older than they are:)) in the group. During one break one of the non-parent, but older women asked me how I liked motherhood. That discussion could go for the rest of the time alloted for the course....but I kept it short and told her how wonderful, but challenging it was and how much my life had changed. I had quoted a book that I just started reading (yes, I still have some time to read) that said something like - once you have a child you realize how much your life was missing one.

One of the young men in the group laughed, and said "I just don't understand how".
I wouldn't have understood how either 2 years ago. But now with Nic I can't imagine my life without him and realize how incomplete it was before. I told the young man that if he did have children one day, he would see what I mean, but that feeling has to come to each person in their own time.

So for our update, Nic is doing great and we are all moving along quite well. I have moved from working 5 hours a month to 8-10 hours a week. Plus teaching 2 of those workshops in a row.

Life is good!

3 comments:

Janice said...

Some times I feel like a get a glimpse of what it is like to have a child and other times I am overwhelmed by how foreign it all seems from the outside.
Don't forget all that hair growing on his head!

"I'm Rachel" said...

Doesn't it feel good to be getting back into the swing of things? And also finding something that you can juggle that allows you to be a mom at the same time?

vonbad said...

It does feel good. Its funny now when I look at my calendar and see that I teach 7 classes in a week!