Friday, June 6, 2008

Run Dana Run

Almost everyone reading this blog knows I have been working out for years, since I was 15 to be exact (and I am much older than 15 now). I've done high impact aerobics (in thong leotards); I've done step aerobics (with steps made of wood); I've done hip hop aerobics (seriously I did), I've done the slide (and I don't mean the electric one); I've done indoor and outdoor cycling; I've done the stairmaster and elliptical for more hours than I could ever hope to count; and I've run (I've even won placks and trophies for running - no cash though).

I say all this because a 5K race should be nothing, right? Our friends in Wilmington invited us (or I may have invited myself, not sure) to join them for the 4th of July and run a 5K race the next day. Ted made the bet that he will beat me in this race. For those of you who know Ted you may think no way (he's not a runner), but here is the history. In 2003 we ran the Cooper River Bridge Run and he beat me by 15 seconds. For the next 3 years I could not live that down. Then in 2006 we ran it again. I, just coming off a half marathon, beat him by 10 minutes.

Now 2 years later and still in good shape (doing some running, indoor cycling and elliptical machine) I should be able to beat him again. Oh yeah, I also gave birth 6 months ago, have run only minimally and will be pushing Nic in the baby jogger for the race. Now I think I can get over the giving birth 6 months ago as I am totally back to normal after that. I can get over the only running minimally by upping my training in the next 4 weeks. However, my speed may suffer in the jogger. Is that an excuse? Probably.
So there, my friends, is the challenge. Wish me and my co-pilot luck on July 5th.

7 comments:

Janice said...

Can you see it? They are neck and neck with the finish line in sight... a giant push to the stroller to send nick ahead and a sprint to the end, she wins, and then catches the stroller. yup i can see it.

"I'm Rachel" said...

My vote is for you -- with the stroller -- a full 10 paces ahead. You see, I've seen Ted the last few times he's come in to "workout", and I'm pretty sure he by-passed the workout altogether and went straight to the showers! :)

"I'm Rachel" said...

Update -- Ted is standing in front of me and telling me that his idea is to put some $$ on the line. So what do you say, Dana? Care to make it interesting? I'll hold the pot and only take a 15% cut. :)

vonbad said...

Betting Ted is kind of useless since its all our money. I say I finish in 30 minutes or less and that he takes 35 minutes or more.

tedology said...

I feel like I am being counted out before we even start

tedology said...

For those of you that frequent this blog. I will make this bet. I will win, I will take these at 2 each, all proceeds I win will go to Nic college fund.

vonbad said...

Boo hoo I feel so bad for Ted being picked on.
If all money goes to Nic's college fund, I will let you win. Which is, of course, the only way you could.