Monday, June 16, 2008

Ghosts

I saw a ghost while running this morning.

Nic and I had headed out early this morning to run before it got too hot. If you haven't followed the race challenge between Ted and I, please read Run Dana Run two posts back. I had prepared a training schedule that increased my running time by about 2-3 minutes each run. However, I am way ahead of schedule having increased my run time from 10 minutes to 30 minutes in 2 weeks.

This is where the ghost comes in. I was running this morning and had just made a personal best time for running since I stopped running when I was about 3 months pregnant. Of course I felt pretty good about myself. It was then that I looked out at the traffic going past me and saw a navy blue Jeep Cherokee driven by an older man with a grey beard and ring of grey hair around his head. He was wearing a faded bluish t-shirt and as our eyes met, he smiled at me. Even though I know its not possible, I could swear that it was my dad. First I smiled, and then laughed a little at what I thought I had seen, and then I got a little teary which made my throat start to tighted, which isn't good while running, so I went back to smiling. I felt a very real sense of him telling me "good job". As I looked through the skylight of Nic's jogger, I felt that running wasn't the only thing he was telling me good job on.

3 comments:

"I'm Rachel" said...

Wow. You totally saw your dad. You just gave me chills -- in a good way.

tedology said...

I agree with rachel. I think he was saying good job on both accounts. Overall, I think he was checking on Nic. Nic's guardian Angel.

However, he was also shaking his heading say you will not be Ted on the race :)

david jones said...

Your story tightened my throat a bit, too - as well as giving me an odd but familiar feeling of sadness, gratitude and wonder. I would like to think that Dad is watching us, visiting us from time to time and rooting us on. I know he'd think you were doing a very good job with his Grandson. Keep up the running.

The next time you see Dad, tell him I say hi.