Monday, February 11, 2008

Stay at Home Mom

If you had told me 7 years ago that I would be a stay at home mom, I never would have believed you. But then again 7 years ago I was living in Indy in a 500 sq. ft. apartment, sleeping on the same twin bed I had had since I was a kid, taking care of only me (and my cat -Zoe - but she was easy). Fast forward to today, I am living in Charlotte with a husband, a dog (Zoe died the week I found out I was pregnant) and most importantly a newborn baby boy. The commercials says that "Life comes at you fast" and well, it's true.
Friday I resigned from my position as Fitness Director at the Steele Creek YMCA. It was as tough a move as it was an easy one. Tough because we will be with one income and because I am afraid I will go crazy not working. Easy because I get to stay home and raise my son. Even though we go down to one income, working at the Y didn't make financial sense. Around $800 a month in daycare and $200 in gas to get to the Y. So I bring home about half my paycheck (yes, I made that little), work 50-60 hours a week and one weekend a month, and at the end of the day I get to spend a little time with my husband and son. NO THANKS! I can sum it all up in one sentence - I am not willing to give him only what I have left at the end of the day. Sometimes, that's not much. I will miss the friends I have made there and hope to keep in touch with as many people as possible. All said and done, I am very excited and feel a sigh of relief coming on.
So here starts a new chapter in my life.

2 comments:

Janice said...

Look how happy Nic is at the news!! That is a huge smile for mom. I am sure it is scary but everything you've done before- leaving Indy, marrying Ted, starting at SC- has been scary and you've done great things each time. This is just the next great thing.
ps. love that it may give you more time to help me out too!

Emily said...

How exciting yet scary! I know that I am going to miss you being there when I do appear once every few months! So this just means I am going to have to come and see you and Nic on a regular basis now! He is as cute as he can be! I know you are going to be a great stay at home mom!