Tuesday, November 18, 2008

What Do You Want To Do With Your Life?

They ask us this question early on. High School Guidance Counselors try to help us plan our careers when we are 17. How can we know? I often wonder what Nicolas will be.

When I was 17 I wanted to be a doctor, a plastic surgeon actually. Not just to give women bigger boobs or less cellulite or fewer crows feet (though a trade-out with other doctors would serve me well now), but to fix things that really needed to be fixed. At 19 I switched into Exercise Physiology and loved it. Over the years and through my career I have loved the path but often have not loved the work.

Today I came back to what I love. Before I got to typing I was surfing the net for more information on the conditions that some of my clients suffer and how better to help them. As Ted and Nic lay sleeping on the couch, I could have crept into bed and gotten a head start on sleep, but I was compelled to learn more. As the day has gone on I have been more and more inspired to find new ways to help them work through their physical obstacles and become the person they want to be.

The mother of one of my clients (the client is suffering a debilitating neuromuscular disease) waited for her daughter in the lobby as we trained. Afterwards I went to talk to her to let her know how well her daughter did and how great an attitude she had. The mother, having previously looked heartbroken, looked surprised and pleased at that. Her daughter is 2 years older than I am.

It just made me see even more how every day of their lives, no matter how old they get, we wish and hope and ache for our children.

I hope that Nicolas gets to be everything he wants to be. He is tough, but sweet; smart and mischievous and becoming an amazing little man!

1 comment:

"I'm Rachel" said...

Dana -- That's a really nice post. I loved it.