Thursday, January 24, 2008

The Drive Thru

I've never been a big fan of the drive-thru. There is a drive-thru for everything: coffee, pharmacy, food (of course), dry cleaning, banking, etc. Pretty soon we will have drive-thru dentistry so we don't have to get out of the car to get that cavity filled. Nope, never liked the drive-thru. I'd rather stop my car and go inside. Especially at Starbucks, that way I can experience the coffee shop feel that I like so much. I can talk to the nice ladies that work at the store by my house. I can look at the cute travel cups that I so don't need.

Then....I had a baby. Like the commercial says, "having a baby changes everything".
Now the drive thru is very much my friend. Starbucks (yes, this a common theme in my blog), the pharmacy, banking, etc. Not because I don't WANT to get out of the car. It's that Nic is sleeping in the carseat and if he wakes up he may realize he is wet or hungry and start a screaming fit. It's the fact that the carseat and baby combined weight at least 20 pounds and my bicep strength, well, isn't quite up to that and I have that banging the seat into my knees, about to fall over walk. Those things should have wheels and a long handle like luggage. I guess that's what the stroller is. Anyway...

So the trip into the store will have to wait until those occasional Sundays when Ted watches Nic and I run around on my own. My wild and crazy life!

2 comments:

"I'm Rachel" said...

I always said that I totally understood how it was that mothers left their babies in the car on blazing hot days. Their train of thought being "If I just run in by myself, I can be back in 5 minutes........ If I take the baby, the whole endevor is going to take 30....." I know, because I used to think those thoughts. Of course, the difference between those moms and me is that common sense would eventually win out and I'd begrudgingly unload Jr. from the backseat -- at least a 10 minute process, and sometimes tramatic for everyone involved. ha ha. :)

I too, love the drive through.

Janice said...

Life without a Starbucks drivethru... I shudder at the thought!